If you want to monitor your home, visitors, or family members, you’ll need a spy camera gadget. There are lots of clever ways you can spy on someone, and the best spy cameras are the devices that don’t look like a spy camera at all. Hidden in plain sight, these amazing cameras can take still photos or video to help you keep an eye on your favorite people or important valuables. Some people use these spy devices as “nanny cams, ” while others simply use them for the fun of it. These are five of the best hidden spy cameras available, so grab one and channel your inner James Bond today. You may also want to check out our posts on the best digital cameras, which features some unusual wearable cameras that may be of interest to you.
DISCLAIMER: Recording a subject without prior consent is illegal in some states/countries. Research the laws in your area, and only use these spy camera products in accordance with your local laws.
1. TRURENDI HD Spy Pen Hidden Camera
This spy camera is nestled into the body of an unassuming pen. It comes in two versions: the pen alone, or the pen with an 8GB card. You can create AVI videos of meetings, conversations, or classes. A pen is totally unobtrusive, and only the most suspicious or paranoid person will ever notice that your pen is more than meets the eye. This is a great spy camera to use in an office, school, or home setting. It’s also nice because it’s highly portable, and you can take it with you practically anywhere without setting off any alarm bells.Pros:
- 8MP camera takes 1280×1024 images, 720p video
- Great compatibility with older computers: Supports Windows ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista, as well as Mac OSX 10.4 and above
- Takes two hours to fully charge
- Image quality is better outdoors than indoors
- Doesn’t do full HD
- Confusing instructions/manual
- Some users have experienced unexpected device failure
Would you ever spend money on these weird iPhone cases, or are they just too strange for words?Click here to read more
2. Cigarette Lighter Hidden Spy Camera
This spy camera has been designed to look like a disposable lighter, but actually houses a memory card and a camera lens. This sneaky device is a great way to spy on people during a smoke break, or you can leave it on a desk or table and see who walks by. Sadly, this is not a functional lighter. But other than the fact that it won’t actually light, this is a pretty great disguise for a spy cam.
Note: In the months since this article was published, this item has been discontinued. Click the link below to see a similar hidden spy camera product that has also been concealed inside a lighter.Pros:
- Compact design
- Looks fairly realistic
- Has built-in mic
- Simple controls
- Memory card not included
- May not seem inconspicuous unless you are a smoker
- Battery is small (200mAh), product only works for 90 minutes, tops
- Will not fit cards over 16GB
- Camera is 5MP, wimpier than other cameras on this list